Lenten luncheons to begin March 4 in Massena
MASSENA -- Lenten luncheons, a local long-time tradition for more than 50 years, will begin March 4 at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 139 Main St..
An ecumenical worship service is held at noon on five Wednesdays during Lent, starting on March 4, and continuing through April 1, at St. John’s, sponsored by the Greater Massena Ministerial Association.Each week’s service is conducted by a different member of the local clergy. Each service consists of hymns, scripture readings, and a brief message.
Lunch in the church social hall will follow each service. Members of several local churches will prepare and serve the meals. A free will offering will be accepted to benefit the Serenity Place.
The menu is also a long-time tradition, and consists of main dish, salad, bread, coffee or tea, and pie or cake.
Specific menus are as follows:
• March 4, Spanish rice and tossed salad, prepared by St. John’s Episcopal Church.
• March 11, Quiche and tossed salad, prepared by the churches of St. Peter’s parish
• March 18, Macaroni & cheese, with tossed salad, prepared by the First United Methodist Church.
• March 25, Chicken casserole and coleslaw, prepared by Grace Methodist Church.
• April 1, Corned beef casserole and Caesar salad, prepared by Emmanuel UCC.
Worship service and luncheon will be cancelled in the event of bad weather. Please watch the school cancellation notices.