Roos tie SUNY ESF in men's soccer
Wednesday, September 26, 2012 - 8:08 am

(Canton, N.Y.)- The SUNY Canton men’s soccer team played to a 1-1 double overtime tie against SUNY ESF Tuesday night in Canton.

The Roos (3-4-1) struck first against the Mighty Oaks, who are ranked sixth in the USCAA Coaches Poll. In the third minute of play sophomore Abdulai Jagana(Bronx, N.Y.) threaded a beautiful pass from just inside midfield through two defenders right to the foot of sophomore Kevaughn John (Arima, Trinidad and Tobago) who made a quick move forward and then stepped back and fired a low, blistering shot that found the bottom right side of the goal for a 1-0 Roos advantage.

SUNY Canton kept pressing and got another terrific opportunity with less than 30 minutes remaining when freshman Jose Menendez (Maracay, Venzuela) carried the ball down the left wing and from 30 yards out sent a hard strike that narrowly missed curling into the upper left corner of the goal.

The Mighty Oaks battled back to tie the game in the 25th minute. Dillon Buchberg took advantage of a SUNY Canton foul deep in the offensive end of the field and buried a direct kick that just snuck in under the crossbar. The score would hold at 1-1 heading into halftime.

SUNY Canton controlled the pace of play throughout the second half and kept pushing the ball deep into their offensive end but just couldn’t get that one break to get the go ahead goal. For the game the Roos outshot ESF 13-2. The Mighty Oaks almost ended the game with 50 seconds left in regulation when they found themselves on a two-on-one break but a quick shot from the right wing caromed off the left post and out of harm’s way sending the game into overtime.

After another 10 minutes the game remained tied at 1-1. The Roos best chance in the second extra session came with 2:30 left on the clock. Sophomore Francesco Cardillo (Tonawanda, N.Y.) started a charge toward goal intercepting an ESF pass at midfield. As Cardillo tried to feed the ball to the wing it was knocked back inside the area. Cardillo’s quick strike was blocked by the defense and cleared away and the game eventually would end in a draw.

Freshman William Banahene (Rochester, N.Y.) played all 120 minutes in goal for the Roos and was not called on to make a save. Mike Walczyk had four saves for ESF.

The Roos hit the road this weekend when they play at Union College on Sept. 29 and then return home on Oct. 1 to face Elmira College.