TRIBS swimmers from Massena, Potsdam, Lisbon, Canton, Rensselaer Falls, Gouverneur, Brasher qualify for title meet
Front, Sheyenne Hays and Hannah Laneuville of Massena and Claire Knowlton of Gouverneur. Back, Becca Lobdell of Massena, Jesse Braun of Lisbon, Martin Stone of Potsdam and Coach Joshua Jock.
Nineteen members of Northern TRIBS Swimming from around St. Lawrence County and neighboring areas attended the Adirondack Championship Qualifier meet at the Shenendehowa Aquatic Center in Clifton Park.It went from Feb. 26 to 28.
The meet gave swimmers a chance to qualify for the upcoming championship March 11 to 13, where the best swimmers from the Adirondack District will race.
The qualifier started Feb. 26 for any swimmer entered in the 500-meter.
Feb. 27 and 28, ages 8 and under competed at 8 a.m., 11 and 12 year olds competed at noon and the seniors raced at 2 p.m.
“These were long days with a lot of fast races for all of our swimmers,” according to TRIBS Coach Joshua Jock.
Swimmers typically had 10 minutes between their races to recover before they had to race again.
“Most were able to improve their swims while trying to qualify for championships,” Jock said.
New club records set at the qualifier meet include:
• Female age 8 and under - Gretchen Braun of Lisbon, 100-meter freestyle 1:16.02, 200-meter freestyle 2:44.58, 25-meter backstroke 19.16; Sydney Rochefort of Massena, 25-meter breaststroke 22.16
• Female ages 13 and 14 - Emily Lantry of Massena, 50-meter backstroke 31.49
• Male ages 9 and 10 - Seth Braun of Lisbon, 200-meter individual medley 2:49.04
• Age 15 and over - Jesse Braun of Lisbon, 100-meter freestyle 53.77, 200-meter individual medley 2:15.75
• Female age 11 and 12, 200-meter medley relay - 2:41.10 (Mia Mousaw, Sina Lufkin, Jill Crites and Emily Healy)
• Female age 13 and 14 400-meter freesytle relay – 4:19.16 (Claire Knowlton, Sophia Silver, Emily Lantry and Caera Stone)
All records are available at http://gotribs.org/meets/records
Finishers in the top three:
Gretchen Braun won first place in the age 8 and under 25-meter backstroke, 100 freestyle, 25 butterfly and in the 10 and under 200 free. She took second place in the 25 breast and 25 free, as well as third in the 10 and under 200 IM. She qualified for championships.
Seth Braun dropped 22.12 seconds in the 10 and under 200 IM to place first with a time of 2:49.04, qualifying for championships.
Emily Lantry swam to first place in the 13 and 14 400 IM, and earned third in the 200 free and 200 IM.
Sina Lukfin swam the 11 to 12 50 Fly coming in 3rd place with a time of 31.08.
Sydney Rochefort of Massena took first in the 25 breast and 100 IM. She also swam to third place in the 50 free.
Sophia Silver of Canton out touched her competitors to win the 13 and 14 50 free with a time of 27.50 as well as taking third in the 100 free with a 1:01.06, qualifying in both events.
Martin Stone of Potsdam finished in third place in the 15 and over 400 IM.
Alexis Stuntz of Canton earned third place in the 8 and under 100 IM and 50 breast.
Cooper Stuntz of Canton dropped 11.93 seconds to claim third in the 13 and 14 200 breaststroke.
Meet results: www.goTRIBS.org/meets