Federal Aviation Administration pleased with Potsdam runway improvements
By CRAIG FREILICH
POTSDAM -- The Federal Aviation Administration is pleased with the runway improvements and new lighting at Potsdam Municipal Airport/Damon Field, according to village Administrator Greg Thompson.
The $1.4 million program completed earlier this year included widening and refinishing the runway to more easily accommodate larger aircraft, maintenance of runway lighting, and installation of a visual landing guidance system.The contract for the work on the village-owned airport was awarded to local building company J.E. Sheehan Contracting, which widened the runway from 60 feet to 75 feet under the exacting specifications of the FAA.
Thompson told village board members this week word had come from FAA that they were pleased with the work.
The FAA is paying 90 percent of the cost, and the state and the village are splitting the remaining 10 percent.
Still outstanding is delivery of equipment needed for snow removal during the winter months worth $212,570, which is expected next week, he said.