Explosion, fire burns one man, damages 7 cars, destroys garage in Edwards
Monday, February 10, 2014 - 6:06 am

EDWARDS – An explosion and fire at a large two-story garage burned one man and damaged seven vehicles Saturday evening in Edwards, according to St. Lawrence County Fire Investigator Joe Lacks.

The explosion occurred around 5:30 pm. after Robert Kain of Pennsylvania backed a vehicle out of the garage on Second Street.

Upon explosion, the building reportedly became engulfed in flames.

The blast allegedly knocked Kain to the ground, Lacks said.

Kain then reportedly ran to a neighbor's house and told them to call 911.

Edwards, Fine, Hermon and Gouverneur Fire departments arrived on scene and fought the blaze for around three hours, investigators said.

Kane was reportedly treated at the scene by Edwards Rescue Squad for minor flash burns to his head.

Investigators from the Edwards Fire Department and the St. Lawrence County Bureau of Fire were at the scene Saturday night and most of the day on Sunday trying to figure out the cause of the blast.

It is believed a large propane tank had been leaking inside the garage and ignited by an unknown source, causing the explosion, investigators said.

Investigators said they believe Kain would have been severely burned or killed if he had been inside the garage at the time of the explosion.

The garage and automobiles were owned by Joe Zacharek of Church Street in Edwards.

The building and at least two of the vehicles were insured.

Neighboring homes were not damaged.