RPI upends Saints men's hockey in overtime
Sunday, November 8, 2015 - 6:16 am

Senior center Mark Miller finished off a two-on-one rush after a turnover with his second goal of the season just one minute into overtime as Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute upset 15th ranked St. Lawrence 4=3 in a ECAC Hockey game at Appleton Arena Saturday night.

The Engineers took three of four points on their North Country trip with a tie on Friday at Clarkson and Saturday's win, and got a big night out of freshman goalie Cam Hackett, who won his first collegiate start with 37 saves after senior Jason Kasdorf was forced out of action after being injured in Friday's game. RPI is 4-4-1 overall and 3-0-1 in league play while the Saints saw a four-game unbeaten streak go by the boards and are now 6-3-1 overall and 1-1-0 in the ECAC.

The Saints outshot RPI 40-21, but the Engineers took advantage of some costly SLU turnovers and the excellent goaltending performance by Hackett to come away with the win.

SLU scored the only goal of the first period when freshman Jacob Pritchard corralled a long stretch pass from Gavin Bayreuther and beat Hackett from the top of the right faceoff circle with just 7.5 seconds to play in the period. RPI came back to take a 2-1 lead in the second with two goals just 1:03 apart. Defenseman Jared Wilson scored the first, his second of the year, when he threw a shot toward net from the point and it snuck under the crossbar at 13:14 as Saint goalie Kyle Hayton was screened by heavy traffic in front. RPI then came right back down and scored again when sophomore wing Drew Melanson picked up a rebound off a Hayton save and put it back into the net at 14:17.

St. Lawrence tied it with another late goal as freshman Mike Ederer picked up a rebound of a shot by defenseman Nolan Gluchowski and put it past Hackett with 1:02 to go in the second period.

The Saints regained the lead at 6:17 of the third when junior wing Drew Smolcynski led a four-on-one break, looked Hackett off and snapped a wrist shot inside the far post for his third of the year. Riley Bourbonnais tied the game at 13:13 as he was all alone in front of Hayton and Mike Prepavessis fed him the puck for a quick shot and Bourbonnais' fifth goal of the year.

It stayed deadlocked the rest of the way as the Saints had a 16-6 shot advantage in the third period, but couldn't jump back in front. Miller, from nearby Massena, decided the game when a Saint defender lost the puck at the defensive blue line and Melanson got the puck to Miller for the two-on-one break with Miller tucking the puck past Hayton for his second of the season.