Roos win second straight women's lacrosse beating Wells
Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 11:09 pm

(Canton, N.Y.)- The SUNY Canton women’s lacrosse team won their second game in a row with a convincing 16-9 victory over Wells College Saturday afternoon in Canton.

The Roos improved to 2-2 overall and 2-0 in the series with the Express, who dipped to 1-2 overall.

Freshman Keeley Rice (Potsdam, N.Y.) led the Roos largest offensive output of the season with a season-high seven points on four goals and three assists. Sophomore Tressa Goolden (Canton, N.Y.) fired in four goals. Junior Brooke Knight (Madrid, N.Y.) added three goals and one assist. Freshman Robyn Carroll (Bowmanville, N.Y.) also scored three times, and sophomore Devyn Hutcheson (Oswego, N.Y.) and freshman Megan Poupore (Massena, N.Y.) contributed one score apiece.

Freshman goalie Alyssa Altschuler (Cheshire, Conn.) made seven saves to earn her second win of the season.

SUNY Canton outshot Wells 37-21 and edged the Express in draw controls 14-13. Each team scooped up 26 ground balls, as Rice had a team-high six and six other players had at least two.

The Roos got on the board first early in the opening half. After Rice misfired on a shot out front, Knight took the restart, worked her way out front of the cage and fired a shot past Express goalie Chelsea Dann, who finished with 12 saves. Wells countered two minutes later when Savannah Tucker scored her first of three goals to even the contest 1-1. Knight scored again on another strong move from behind the net with 22:53 left that ignited a run of three straight SUNY Canton goals. The Roos won the draw control and Rice quickly scored her first goal with 21:47 left. Knight scored again on a free position shot and the Roos surged ahead 4-1.

Wells trimmed the lead to two goals after Madeline Bass found the back of the net for her first of four scores, but the Roos countered and after successful clear, Knight set up Goolden for a 5-2 SUNY Canton lead. Goolden popped in two more in a row and the home team’s lead surged to 7-2. Andrea Gould and Tucker scored for Wells in the final five minutes and SUNY Canton a 7-4 edge at halftime.

The Roos quickly took away any momentum the Express had built at the end of the first half with five unanswered goals over the first 13 minutes of the second half to stretch their lead to 12-4. Goolden started the decisive run with her fourth and final goal just 53 seconds into the second half. Hutcheson then scored unassisted on a nifty run from midfield. Rice connected on a free position shot from out front, and Carroll tossed in two in a row to build an eight-goal advantage. Wells stopped the run with 13:01 remaining when Bass scored off a free position shot. Tucker scored a minute later unassisted, but SUNY Canton responded with another impressive run of four straight, including two from Rice, one from Poupore and one from Carroll.

Wells closed the game with three straight goals in the final 90 seconds, but it wasn’t enough as the Roos improved to 1-1 on their home turf.

The Roos will look to extend their winning streak when they host Oswego State on Monday, March 25 at 4 p.m. in Canton.