Diver's overtime goal lifts Dutchmen men's lacrosse over No. 18 Saints
Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 9:15 am

Union's James Diver netted his third goal of the season just one minute and nine seconds into overtime to lift the Union Dutchmen to a 9-8 win over the No. 18 St. Lawrence University men's lacrosse team in Liberty League play on Saturday afternoon in Schenectady, New York.

The Saints were led by Conor Caffrey with three goals, while Mike Donnelly and Jordan Dow each recorded two goals and two assists. Kyle Gagne also netted a goal for the Saints, while Sam Sweeney picked up five ground balls and caused one turnover and Evan Doodian grabbed three ground balls and caused two turnovers for the Scarlet and Brown.

St. Lawrence took an early lead after the first quarter with goals from Gagne, Caffrey and back-to-back strikes from Donnelly. Donnelly found Gagne for a man-up goal just about four minutes into play, before netting two goals in two minutes, and was followed up Caffrey off the feed from Sam Boehle. Union's lone tally of the first frame came from Alex Newhouse with an assist to Quinn Helmig.

Union's John Edmonds stuck first in the second quarter, with an unassisted goal, to bring the game within two. Dow took a wide angled shot off the short pass from Harrison Koch on the left side to extend the Saints' lead to three goals with 8:17 to play.

Caffrey put the Saints up 6-2 with a low-to-high shot past Dutchmen goalkeeper Sam Bebout for his 32nd goal of the season.

After the timeout call from head coach Mike Mahoney '93, Dow recorded his second of the game to extend the Saints' lead to five. Caffrey found Donnelly on the right side, who made a swift pass to the left for Dow to score with just two seconds to play in the second quarter.

After the break, Union opened up scoring with a goal from Sean Pensavalle. Kerry Lyne then brought the game back within three off a pass from Jack Sullivan with 1:16 to play in the third.

Looking to make a comeback, Jordan Cooper fed Hayden Frey from behind the goal line, bringing the score to 7-5. Then Cooper found Edmonds on Alex Terry's doorstep, closing the gap to just one goal.

Caffrey pushed the Saints lead back to two with 5:08 to play in the final frame, but Edmonds closed the gap once more just 12 seconds off the faceoff for his third of the game. Cooper found Edmonds for the second time to knot the game at eight with 1:57 to play and eventually force overtime.

Charlie McGovern fed Diver, who slipped a low shot past Saints' goalkeeper Alex Terry for the overtime win at 2:51.

"Union's goalie made some big saves in the third quarter and we were unable to stretch out our lead," said Mahoney. "We've got terrific leadership on this team and we will regroup for the challenging schedule ahead."

The Dutchmen were led by Edmonds with four goals, while five other members of the Union squad each netted one goal each. Cooper posted a team-best four assists, while Newhouse picked up seven ground balls and went 11-for-18 in the faceoff circle and Peter McKinlay caused two turnovers.

Terry made six save between the pipes for the Saints, while Bebout finished with 10 for the Dutchmen.

St. Lawrence outshot the Dutchmen 40-28, including an 18-15 shots on goal edge. The Saints also picked up 29 ground balls to Union's 27.

Records - St. Lawrence (9-3, 4-2 LL), Union (8-2, 3-2 LL)

Up Next –

The Saints return home to face SUNY Potsdam in a non-conference game on Tuesday, April 17 at 7 p.m.