MASSENA -- The Massena Winter Carnival will return for its fourth year the weekend of Jan. 12. Highlights of the carnival will include a “Doggie Winter Fashion Show,” winter hike, snow sculpture festival, fireworks and parade and dog sled races.
While the festival, with an “Icing on the Snow theme, will run from Jan. 18 until Feb. 3, most activities are planned for the first weekend in February.
The carnival will kick off with a 50/50 raffle and trivia night to raise money for carnival activities. Tickets for the raffle will be $5 each and can be purchased from the Massena chamber, 16 Church St., from members of the Winter Carnival Committee or chamber board members. The raffle drawing will be held Feb. 3 at the carnival’s closing ceremonies.
The trivia night, planned for Jan. 12 at 7 p.m., will take place at the Village Inn with Mike Viskovich as Master of Ceremonies. Registration will begin at 6 p.m. The first place team will receive $200 in gift certificates, with $140 in gift certificates going to the second place team and $100 going to the third place team.
The chamber is seeking items that can be auctioned at the trivia night; to donate an item contact the chamber office at 769-3525 or Ann Viskovich at 769-9929.
The full list of Winter Carnival events follows:
• Saturday, Jan. 12 – Trivia Night, Village Inn, 6 p.m. registration
• Friday, Jan. 18 and Saturday, Jan. 19 – Massena Hockey Cup Tournament, Massena Arena
• Saturday, Jan. 19 – Children’s activities, Massena Community Center 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; crafts, games, Cubby T. Clown and horse-drawn wagon rides
• Thursday, Jan. 24 – Family Feud Night
• Friday, Jan. 25 – Moonlight guided snowshoe and ski, Robert Moses Nature Center, 6:30 p.m.
• Saturday Jan. 26 – Doggie Winter Fashion Show, Robert Moses Nature Center, 10 a.m.; Doggie Winter Hike, Nature Center, 11 a.m.; Storywalk with Massena Library, Nature Center, noon
• Saturday, Jan. 26 and Sunday, Jan. 37 – Snow sculpture festival at St. Lawrence Central Mall
• Thursday, Jan. 31 – Massena Senior Citizens Luncheon at Communty Center, noon; Winter Carnival opening ceremonies, Massena chamber office, 5:30 p.m.
• Friday, Feb. 1 – Parade, downtown Massena, 7 p.m.; fireworks, Bushnell Field, 8 p.m.
• Saturday, Feb. 2 – 5K walk/run registration – Massena Country Club 8:30 a.m.; dog sled races, Hawkins Point Visitors Center; Winter Carnival Market, Hawkins Point Visitors Center, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; horse drawn wagon rides, visitors center, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Cubby T. Clown, visitors center, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Winter Carnival meet and greet dinner, The Village Inn, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; karaoke, The Village Inn, 9 p.m.
• Sunday, Feb. 3 – Dog sled races, visitors center; children’s activities, visitors center, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Cubby T. Clown, visitors center, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; horse-drawn wagon rides, visitors center, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Massena figure skating ice show, Massena Arena, 1 p.m.; snow candles with Nature Center, visitors center, 2 p.m.; closing ceremony, visitors center 3 p.m.
For more information, visit the chamber website at www.massenachamber.com or contact the chamber at 769-3525.