After a White Christmas in the North Country, more snow is coming, perhaps as much as 15 inches of it, along with strong winds.
The heaviest snowfall is expected to come between 7 p.m. tonight, through Thursday, through to Friday morning at 7 a.m., according to the latest winter storm warning and hazardous weather outlook from the National Weather Service.
The storm, sweeping eastward from the country’s midsection where it has left a variety of precipitation and tornado damage in its wake, is expected develop into a Nor’easter, dropping 10 to 15 inches of snow across the region before it moves out of the North Country on Friday, the NWS predicts.
It will be sunny today, with increasing cloudiness and an increase in winds to about 20 mph, from the northeast, tonight. Accumulation tonight is expected to be 3 to 5 inches.
Tomorrow, wind gusts could reach 32 mph, with possibly heavy snowfall amounting to 5 to 9 more inches. Snow showers are expected to taper off, until the chance of precipitation drops from 100 percent tonight and tomorrow to 60 percent Friday and 20 percent Friday night. The wind will mean blowing and drifitng snow and low visibility.
Temperatures are expected to be in the teens and 20s through the storm.
Clouds and the chance of snow are expected to linger through Saturday night.
For current forecasts for your community, or for a link to track the storm via radar and satellite images, visit the NorthCountryNow.com Weather Page at http://NorthCountryNow.com/weather.
The NWS forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley and northwestern Adirondacks:
• This Afternoon: Partly sunny, with a high near 25. Northeast wind 8 to 13 mph.
• Tonight: Snow, mainly after 9pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 20. Blustery, with a northeast wind 13 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
• Thursday: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. Blustery, with a northeast wind 17 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
• Thursday Night: Snow showers. Low around 19. Northeast wind 9 to 15 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
• Friday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 27. Northwest wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
• Friday Night: A slight chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 10. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
• Saturday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
• Saturday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 11. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
• Sunday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 20.
• Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7.
• Monday: Cloudy, with a high near 19.
• Monday Night: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 10. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
• New Year's Day: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 15. Chance of precipitation is 30%.