This house in Hermon was heavily damaged by fire but Hermon firefighters,, with help from Richville and DeKalb volunteers, knocked the blaze down quickly. Photo by Jennifer Tarner.
HERMON – An early evening fire caused by a faulty floor lamp electrical cord has left a Hermon house heavily damaged and a family of four out of their home.
The house was occupied by Tom and Donna Sharpe and their two children, 10-year-old Jerome and 8 year old Brittney, who all escaped unharmed after Mrs. Sharpe heard a smoke alarm in the house and got the children out.
Their house, at 1215 Cty. Rt. 20 near Cty. Rt. 19, sustained heavy damage in the living room and smoke and water damage throughout, according he St. Lawrence County Fire Investigator Joe Lacks.
Lacks credited the Hermon Fire Department with “a good interior attack...which kept damage to a minimum.”
Hermon firefighters were called out at 6:49 p.m., aided by Richville and DeKalb firefighters. Departments from Gouverneur and Rensselaer Falls were on standby.
The owner of the house, Bill Balling of Richville, has insurance on the house, but the family had no insurance on the contents.
Lacks said the Red Cross had been put in touch with the family.