Zonta Club of Canton accepting applications for 2018-2019 scholarships
CANTON -- The Zonta Club of Canton is accepting applications for its 2018-2019 scholarships.
The club accepts applications from students attending Canton Central School, Colton-Pierrepont Central School, Gouverneur Central School, Hermon-DeKalb Central School, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Norwood-Norfolk Central School, Parishville-Hopkinton Central School, Potsdam Central School, Massena Central School, Edwards-Knox Central School and St. Lawrence Central School.Applications are available at any of those high schools’ guidance offices or through Lyn Swafford, PO Box 495, South Colton, New York 13687, or 315-262-2807.
The scholarships are:
• Members’ Memorial Scholarship, a $600 scholarship awarded in memory of former Zonta Club members Millie Post, Mae LaBrake and Katherine Schwarzkopf to a graduating senior showing good leadership skills and dedication to service. Application deadline is April 30.
• The Gwen Putnam Scholarship, a $600 scholarship given in memory of a former Zonta Club member to a deserving graduating senior with a distinguished academic record. Application deadline is April 30.
• The Canton Zonta Club Jean M. Coon Humanitarian Award, a $600 scholarship given to a junior or senior for outstanding community service. Academic achievement is NOT a factor in selecting a winner. Application deadline is March 2.
• Young Women in Public Affairs, a $300 scholarship given to a senior woman who will enter a four-year college or university seeking a career in policy making, government, or a volunteer organization. Application deadline is March 2.
• SUNY Canton College Scholarship, a scholarship given in memory of former Zonta Club members Margaret Sibley and Penny Pitts, to a single parent who is enrolled at SUNY Canton with a goal of and progress toward earning a college degree. Application deadline is April 30. The amount of this endowed scholarship, given through SUNY Canton by Zonta, is to be determined by the SUNY Canton Endowment Office.
All winners and one guest each should plan to attend the Canton Zonta Club’s scholarship dinner June 19. More details will follow when winners are announced.