Welder's spark starts fire in Russell Monday
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 9:06 am

RUSSELL -- A Cty. Rt. 17 structure was extensively damaged by fire early Monday.

The fire, to a house owned and occupied by Franklin Mackin, 623 Cty. Rt. 17, started when an ember from welding ignited a nearby wood pile, according to St. Lawrence County fire investigators.

The alarm came into the DeGrasse Fire Department at 1:52 a.m. DeGrasse and Russell rescue units also responded , along with Russell, Edwards, Hermon, Pyrites, Canton and Star Lake departments. Volunteers from Gouverneur, DeKalb Junction, Richville, amd Fine were on standby.

The DeGrasse department was back in service at 2:03 a.m.

Mackin was alone in the house at the time. No one was reported hurt.

The structure was insured, investigators said.