Weekend snow predicted, especially in southern part of St. Lawrence County
Keep your boots laced up and your mittens handy this weekend - the National Weather Service is predicting up to 4 1/2 inches of snow will fall in central St. Lawrence County by Sunday afternoon -- and possibly more in the southerwestern parts of the county.
Although the temperature is forecasted to rise to 31 degrees Saturday, we could see light precipitation in the morning and afternoon. There is a 70 percent chance that 1 to 3 inches of snow will fall by night.Sunday may have a slight breeze with highs near 17 and another possible inch of snow, the weather service predicts.
The incoming front is expected to bring a chilly start to next week.
To see a forecast for your area, visit http://northcountrynow.com/weather.
The seven-day forecast for Potsdam is:
• Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -15. South wind 3 to 6 mph.
• Saturday: A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 31. Wind chill values as low as -8. Southwest wind 6 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
• Saturday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly after 1 a.m. Cloudy, with a low around 12. Southwest wind 8 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
• Sunday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers before 4 p.m. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 17. West wind 6 to 9 mph becoming north in the afternoon. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
• Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -5. North wind 5 to 8 mph.
• Monday: Sunny, with a high near 11. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph in the morning.
• Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -6. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 12. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph in the morning.
• Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -3. Light and variable wind.
• Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 17. Light north wind.
• Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 4. Calm wind.
• Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Light and variable wind.
• Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Southeast wind 3 to 5 mph.
• Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 33. South wind 6 to 9 mph.