Warnings issued for wind chills near -30 and threat of flooding in St. Lawrence Valley
Arctic high pressure extending from southwestern Quebec across New York will continue to bring dry and very cold conditions to the North Country, with temperatures not expected to rebound much before Monday.
The cold perists in the St. Lawrence Valley, and the low temperatures are increasing the threat of ice-dam flooding, according to the National Weather Service.The NWS has posted hazardous weather outlooks for wind chill and a flood watch.
Temperatures today will struggle to reach zero, and with winds as high as 15 mph will be driving wind chill values to near minus 30.
Temperatures tonight are expected to dip will into minus territory again tonight, approaching minus 20 with wind chills down to minus 25 or lower.
Today, at least, we have the compensation of sunshine, but that will disappear behind clouds tomorrow.
Visit our weather page for more info and outlooks.
The NWS forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley and northwestern Adirondacks:
• Today: Sunny and cold, with a high near 0. Wind chill values as low as -28. West wind 8 to 14 mph.
• Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around -18. Wind chill values as low as -25. West wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight.
• Friday: A 20 percent chance of light snow after 3pm. Increasing clouds and cold, with a high near 9. Wind chill values as low as -26. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.
• Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of light snow before 4am. Cloudy, with a low around -4. Light and variable wind. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
• Saturday: Cloudy, with a high near 14. Light and variable wind becoming northwest 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
• Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around -11. West wind 5 to 8 mph.
• Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 15. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.
• Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -2. Light south wind.
• Monday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
• Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 16. Light south wind.
• Tuesday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 35. South wind 3 to 7 mph.
• Tuesday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 27. South wind 6 to 8 mph.
• Wednesday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Southwest wind 13 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.