Uninsured home destroyed by fire in Stockholm
Monday, December 23, 2013 - 5:31 pm

STOCKHOLM CENTER – A fast-moving fire started by ash from a wood stove is blamed for the destruction of a Scott Road house this afternoon.

Brasher-Winthrop fire volunteers and Tri-Town Rescue were called out just before 2 p.m. to 40 Scott Road, where a house owned and occupied by Jonathan M. Charleson was ablaze, according to St. Lawrence County fire investigators.

West Stockholm firefighters provided mutual aid while Helena and Potsdam volunteers stood by in reserve.

Investigators said the fire was started by wood stove ash.

Charleson was reported to be the sole occupant of the house.

The Brasher-Winthrop department was back in service by 3:30 p.m.

The house was declared a total loss. The investigator’s report notes that Charleson had no insurance on the house.