Two killed, six injured in accidents in Canton, Norwood, Lisbon, Stockholm, Potsdam, Pitcairn, Brasher and Fowler
Two people were killed and at least six others were injured in accidents across St. Lawrence County Tuesday as ice and snow made roads tough to travel on.
At least four accidents resulted in injuries or death and two others resulted in driving while intoxicated arrests.The majority of accidents occurred in the Stockholm area, but incidents were seen in nearly all parts of the county as freezing rain covered the roads.
A list of accidents reported by law enforcement agencies follows:
• CANTON – A father and son were killed in Canton after icy road conditions caused an accident on the Morley-Potsdam road.
Canton-based state police said Theron H. Butterfield, 81, of Potsdam and his son Thomas Butterfield, 51, of Canton were killed after the senior Butterfield lost control of his vehicle on slushy roads and slid sideways into the path of a vehicle driven by Larry Felt, 48, of Canton.
Troopers said Butterfield’s vehicle was struck on the passenger side. Thomas Butterfield, who was sitting on the passenger’s side was pronounced dead at the scene.
Theron Butterfield was transported Canton-Potsdam Hospital where he died later from injuries sustained during the accident.
Felt was uninjured.
Canton Fire and Rescue and Morley firefighters and also responded to the scene.
• LISBON -- An Ogdensburg man faces multiple charges following an alleged drunk driving accident on the Pray Road that reduced traffic to one lane Tuesday.
Robert J. Driscoll, 28, of was charged with driving while intoxicated, operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content of more than .08 percent, no license, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and failure to keep right, according to Ogdensburg-based state police.
Driscoll allegedly left the roadway while driving on the Pray Road between the Marshall Road and the Arnold-Wagner Road.
Lisbon Volunteer Fire Department and troopers were both present at the scene.
Traffic on the road was limited to one-lane while the vehicle was removed from the scene.
A firefighter at the scene said no one was injured.
• POTSDAM -- A collision on the Morley-Potsdam sent two people to the hospital following a two-vehicle accident, according to St. Lawrence County sheriff's deputies.
Deputies said John Kramer, 73, lost control of his vehicle while traveling northwest on the Morley-Potsdam Road when he lost control of his vehicle and crossed into the oncoming lane.
Deputies said Kramer hit another vehicle driven by Nicholas J. Deon.
Kramer and his passenger were taken to Canton-Potsdam Hospital with minor injuries.
Deputies said no other injuries were reported.
Potsdam firefighters assisted at the scene.
• PITCAIRN -- Three people were injured at 3:46 p.m. Tuesday in a two-vehicle accident on State Highway 3 near Greenwood Falls Road, according to Star Lake-based state police.
Kimberly M. Rockow, 43, of Brockport, and Homer Jay Dubey, 40, of Star Lake, were the drivers.
Details on the injured parties were not released.
• NORWOOD -- One person was injured Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. following a collision on North Main Street near Bernard Avenue, according to Massena-based state police.
Joseph C. Bouchey, 41, of Ogdensburg, and Darlene A. Bosckor, 70, of Massena were the drivers, according to troopers.
Troopers did not provide details on the injured person.
• FOWLER -- A DeKalb man was charged with driving drunk following an accident at 9:56 Tuesday on State Route 58 near Fullerville Road.
Edwin C. Blevins, 25, was charged with operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content of more than .08 percent and driving while intoxicated.
He was released on an appearance ticket. Gouverneur-based state police reported no injuries.
• STOCKHOLM -- Massena-based state police responded to a two-vehicle accident at 2:27 p.m. Tuesday on State Highway 420 and State Highway 11C.
Robert E. Hofman, 63, of Blossvale, and Chistina D. Gilbo, 45, of Potsdam were the drivers, according to troopers.
No injuries were reported, but the blotter released by troopers referred to an arrest that was not listed.
• STOCKHOLM -- Massena-based state police responded to a one-vehicle accident Tuesday at 4:20 p.m. on US Highway 11 near Wells Road.
Jason A. Casey, 35, of Canton, was the driver.
No injuries were reported, according to troopers.
• BRASHER -- Massena-based state police investigated an accident Tuesday at 4:48 p.m. on County Route 55 near County Route 50.
Sandra M. Deshane, 44, of Brasher was the driver, according to troopers.
No injuries were reported.
• STOCKHOLM -- Massena-based state police investigated an accident Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. on County Route 48 near Shop Road.
Aaron J. Snyder, 23, of Winthrop was the driver, according to troopers.
No injuries were reported.