Two injured in out-of-control cooking fire that destroys Fowler home
Monday, November 19, 2012 - 6:46 am

FOWLER – Two people were hurt as a “stubborn” cooking fire in Fowler completely destroyed a Country Club Road residence.

The fire, in a house owned and occupied by Jay and Kisako Bresett, started Sunday at about noon when oil being heated by Kisako ignited, burning her right forearm. She was taken to E.J. Noble Hospital in Gouverneur for treatment.

A fireman received a facial cut and was treated at the scene, according to investigators.

The Gouvenreur Fire Department and Rescue Squad responded at 12:35 p.m., followed by volunteers from Richville and Edwards departments. They were backed up by Oxbow, Hermon and DeKalb firefighters standing by. Gouverneur volunteers were back in service at 5:07 p.m.

“This was referred to as a stubborn fire as this was a 2-story wood frame farm house with a balloon construction, and multiple layers of roofing material,” the investigators’ preliminary report said.

The couple does have insurance on the house.