With unseasonably warm temperatures in recent days, snow and ice buildup on roofs throughout St. Lawrence County have been sliding off. Peg Jeffery of Parishville captured this shot showing snow and ice build-up very slowly sliding off the garage roof. Big chunks of snow can be seen in the foreground that cleared the main house roof. About a half hour after this photo was taken, the overhang on the garage roof fell to the ground. “This has happened many times over the years, but this accumulation was much larger,” she said.
MASSENA – Saturday’s high temperature of 48 degrees was a record-breaker, beating the previous high by three degrees.
But even though even higher temperatures are predicted for today, there may not be another record-breaker today. That’s because the highest temperature ever recorded for Jan. 13 was 62 degrees in 2005.
According to WeatherUnderground.com, a weather forecasting service, the high temperature recorded at Massena International Airport on Saturday beat the previous record of 45 degrees set in 1988.
The average high temperature for Jan. 12 is 24 degrees and the average low temperature is 5 degrees, according to WeatherUnderground.com. The lowest temperature ever recorded for Jan. 12 was -37 degrees in 1971.
The National Weather Service is predicting a high of 58 degrees today, with a 50 percent chance of showers.
Temperatures will begin dropping to more normal levels beginning Monday, the weather service says.
For current forecasts for your community, visit the NorthCountryNow.com Weather Page at http://northcountrynow.com/weather
The seven-day forecast from the National Weather Service follows:
• Today Rain likely, mainly after 4pm. Patchy fog before 10am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 58. East wind 6 to 11 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
• Tonight Rain. Low around 33. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
• Monday A chance of rain and snow showers before 1pm, then a slight chance of snow showers between 1pm and 4pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a temperature falling to around 29 by 5pm. West wind 11 to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
• Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 13. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
• Tuesday Partly sunny, with a high near 32. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 8 to 13 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph.
• Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16.
• Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
• Wednesday Night A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 20.
• Thursday A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 21.
• Thursday Night Cloudy, with a low around 3.
• Friday A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 20.
• Friday Night A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 11.
• Saturday A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.