POTSDAM – SUNY Potsdam has appointed members of a committee to begin the search for a new college president.
The committee's obligation will officially begin on Monday, Nov. 4, when SUNY Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher is expected to give the committee its charge.
SUNY Potsdam College Council Chair June F. O'Neill will chair the Presidential Search Committee.
O'Neill has appointed three other representatives from the College Council, one from the SUNY Potsdam Alumni Association, the academic dean, a Potsdam College Foundation trustee, a professional or support staff member and a student representative.
The SUNY Potsdam Faculty Senate has chosen the six faculty representatives, following a campus vote. Chancellor Zimpher appointed the current or former SUNY president representative, and the liaison to the search committee.
The SUNY Potsdam Presidential Search Committee members, with their class years if applicable, are:
• June O'Neill, Hon. '99: Chair
• Molly Clough '92: College Council
• Bryan Hughes: College Council
• Harold Johnson: College Council
• John Ettling: SUNY Plattsburgh President
• Michael Sitton: Crane School of Music Dean
• Romeyn Prescott '92: Alumni Association/Director of Academic Computing
• Mary Helander '83: Foundation Board
• Roberta Greene '09: secretary for Geology and Physics
• Sara Behuniak '14: Student Government Association President
• David Curry: Professor of Philosophy
• Carleen Graham: Professor of Opera and Music Theatre
• Lynn Hall: Associate Professor of Literacy Education
• Thomas Nesbitt: Director of Admissions/Adjunct Instructor
• Jan Trybula: Associate Professor of Biology/Faculty Senate Chair
• Louise Tyo '00: Director of Student and Family Transitions/Adjunct Instructor
They are all voting members of the committee. Non-voting members are Bonny Boice, chancellor's liaison, and Carol Rourke '81, committee support staff person.
Committee Chair O'Neill said, "I look forward to working with this broad cross-section of campus constituents, who all share a sense of dedication to this institution."
The college’s governing council has hired consultants Jessica Kozloff and Tom Fitch from the firm Academic Search to help the committee. SUNY guidelines require consultants to be hired for a presidential search.
The consultants will hold the first of several meetings with campus constituents on Tuesday, Nov. 5 at 4 p.m. in the Raymond Hall eighth floor dining room. This open forum will be an opportunity for the campus community to express thoughts about what qualifications the next president of SUNY Potsdam should have, a news release from the college said..
The search is expected to run through next spring.
Former SUNY Potsdam President Dr. John F. Schwaller announced a year ago that he would step down this past spring. In March 2013, Interim President Dr. Dennis L. Hefner, the retired president of SUNY Fredonia, was appointed by the SUNY Board of Trustees to lead the campus during the transition.