SUNY Canton among ag education leaders in spotlight at 2017 Empire Farm Days
CANTON -- SUNY Canton is among agricultural education leaders in the spotlight at the 2017 Empire Farm Days event that provides a showcase for agricultural education, scholars and leadership.
The Empire Farm Days event includes takes place Aug. 8-10 at Rodman Lott and Son Farms in Seneca Falls.SUNY Canton joins Alfred State College, Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Morrisville State College, and SUNY Cobleskill as participating colleges.
Other activities, exhibits, and information at the event include:
• The American Welding Society Careers in Welding trail with 4 virtual reality welders to try
• Cornell PRO-DAIRY Junior DAIRY LEADERS graduation with 31 youth representing 19 counties in the Dairy Profit Center on Wednesday, August 9 at 1:30 pm. The statewide program provides hand-on learning about career opportunities in the dairy industry for youth between the ages of 16 and 19.
• National Dairy Grazing Apprenticeship program information from the Cornell Small Dairy Support Program in the Cornell Marketplace building daily. The program is also recruiting Master Graziers.
• The NY Ag Leadership Luncheon on Wednesday, August 9 draws farming representatives from all sectors and includes presentation of the New York State Agricultural Environmental Management Award by American Agriculturist, the NYS Department of Agriculture and Markets, and Empire State Potato Growers, Inc., and recognition of the 2017 Empire State Potato Growers Scholarship winner Karen Luong of Rushville.
• On Aug. 10, the NYS FFA Welding Contest for $2,250 in Morrisville State College scholarships, sponsored by Haun Welding and Briggs and Stratton Power Products
• On Aug. 10, the NYS FFA Tractor Driving Safety Contest sponsored by Case International, John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, H and S Equipment, the New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health, Java Farm Supply, Lamb and Webster, and the NY FFA Foundation.
• The Cornell University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences alumni reception on Wednesday, Aug. 9 from 2:30 to 4 pm.
Empire Farm Days is the largest outdoor agricultural trade show in the Northeastern U.S. with working equipment demonstrations, crop plots, educational seminars, live animals, farm safety and rural life exhibits. Show hours are 9 am to 5 pm Tuesday and Wednesday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday. Parking is $10 per vehicle. Learn more at www.empirefarmdays.com.