St. Lawrence County Snowmobile Association reminds sledders of safe-riding guidelines
The St. Lawrence County Snowmobile Association is reminding sledders of safe-riding guidelines during International Snowmobile Safety Week Jan. 13-19.
Snowmobiling is enjoyed by over 4 million people across the United States and Canada. The sport is a safe and an enjoyable form of recreation when guidelines are followed.The purpose of International Snowmobile Safety Week is to expose people to safe snowmobiling practices and to demonstrate how operating safely can prevent mishaps, as well as stressing safe and responsible snowmobiling, according to Debbie Christie of the St. Lawrence County association.
Safe Snowmobiling Means…
1. Attend a safety class.
2. Become familiar with the snowmobile you ride.
3. Operate at safe and reasonable speeds.
4. Never consume alcohol or drugs before or during snowmobiling.
5. Stay on trails and areas where snowmobiling is permitted.
6. Avoid travel on unfamiliar frozen bodies of water.
7. Using extra caution at night.
8. Keep your snowmobile properly maintained.
9. Become familiar with the terrain you will travel on.
10. Listen to the weather forecast before you leave.
11. Always wear a helmet and proper clothing.
12. Never riding alone, and letting someone know where you are going and when you
plan to return.
13. Carrying emergency supplies and learning survival skills.