St. Lawrence County schools getting $600,000 from state suit against Microsoft
Several schools in and near St. Lawrence County are receiving more than $660,000 from a settlement between the state and Microsoft Corporation.
The schools receiving shares of the settlement have at least 50 percent of their students receiving free or reduced price lunch through the National School Lunch Program.The aid will come in the form of vouchers, half to purchase hardware and half to purchase software.
The settlement is the outcome of a suit the state brought against the software giant alleging that Microsoft violated New York State antitrust and unfair competition laws and thereby overcharged consumers for some of its software.
Microsoft will provide vouchers for its Windows, MS-DOS, Office, Excel and Word products to be redeemed for cash after they purchase qualifying computer hardware or software.
Microsoft admitted no wrongdoing.
The final date to redeem vouchers has been extended to March 1.
“Giving students the tools they need to be ready for a technology-driven world is difficult in this era of budget cutting. These funds will make a big difference for these schools,” said Massena Central School Superintendent Roger B. Clough II.
Schools in and near St. Lawrence County will received a total of $663,000 in vouchers.
Specific allotments are:
• Brasher Falls, St. Lawrence Elementary School, $26,175
• Canton, J.M. McKenney Middle School, $26,709
• Clifton-Fine Junior-Senior High, $22,235
• Edwards-Knox Junior-Senior HS, $38,995
• Gouverneur, East Side Elementary School, $26,976
• Gouverneur, West Side Elementary School, $17,428
• Hammond Central School, $21,701
• Harrisville Elementary School, $27,978
• Hermon-DeKalb Central School, $26,843
• Heuvelton Central School, $36,858
• Massena, J. William Leary Junior High School, $31,650
• Massena, Jefferson Elementary School, $34,388
• Massena, Madison Elementary School, $37,526
• Morristown Central School, $25,574
• Norwood-Norfolk Elementary School, $37,126
• Ogdensburg, John F. Kennedy School, $33,386
• Ogdensburg, Lincoln School, $12,086
• Ogdensburg, Madill School, $21,901
• Ogdensburg Free Academy, $53,618
• Salmon River High School, $77,256
• Salmon River, St. Regis Mohawk School, $26,776