St. Lawrence County residents can apply for cabinet maker apprenticeships
St. Lawrence County residents can apply for two cabinetmaker apprenticeships through the Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Northeast Carpenters.
They will recruit through Jan. 25, 2019, the New York State Department of Labor announced.Applications can be obtained from 1 to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, at the following locations:
Albany – Northeast Carpenters Training Center, 16 Corporate Circle, Albany, NY.
Hauppauge – Northeast Carpenters Training Center, 270 Motor Pkwy, Dept. B, Hauppauge, NY.
Hudson Valley – Northeast Carpenters Training Center, 52 Stone Castle Road, Rock Tavern, NY.
Rochester – Northeast Carpenters Training Center, 21 Jet View Dr., Rochester, NY.
This schedule is in effect throughout the recruitment period, excluding legal holidays. Applicants should be prepared to take a math and measurement computation test at the time of application. Applicants must bring their driver’s license or other state-issued ID card, at time of application, to verify residency.
The committee requires that applicants must:
• be at least 18 years old.
• have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as GED or TASC).
• sign a statement indicating that they are physically able to perform the work of a Cabinetmaker, which includes performing constant repetitive motions, standing and stooping for prolonged periods of time, working in all types of weather conditions, including extreme heat and cold, lifting and carrying objects over 50 lbs., using stationary tools, portable hand tools, and power tools, climbing and working from heights of at least 10 feet.
• have reliable transportation to and from work and related instruction.
• live within the geographical jurisdiction of the Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Committee for at least 6 months, which includes the counties of Albany, Allegany, Broome, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Chautauqua, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Dutchess, Erie, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Genesee, Greene, Hamilton, Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Livingston, Madison, Monroe, Montgomery, Nassau, Niagara, Oneida, Onondaga, Ontario, Orange, Orleans, Oswego, Otsego, Putnam, Rensselaer, Rockland, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Seneca, St. Lawrence, Steuben, Suffolk, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Westchester, Wyoming, Yates.
• provide DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, if applicable, after selection and prior to indenture.
• pass a drug test, at the expense of the sponsor, after selection and prior to indenture. If an applicant tests positive, they cannot reapply for one year.
• participate in an interview, if selected.
• be willing and able to attend related instruction at a Northeast Carpenters Training Center for four one-week periods, during each of the four years of apprenticeship.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Northeast Carpenters Apprenticeship Committee at:
Albany – (518) 438-0901
Hauppauge – (631) 952-9555
Rock Tavern – (845) 567-1810
Rochester – (585) 436-1110