By JOE LACKS
The St. Lawrence County Emergency Services and local fire and EMS departments are reminding Halloween participants to follow some safety guidelines.
• Be sure your costumes, especially children's, are fire resistant.
• When trick or treating at night be sure to wear visible or reflective clothing to be seen better by drivers.
• Vision should not be restricted by costume masks.
• Motorists should drive especially careful during trick or treating.
• Parents should always accompany young children and check the candy before anyone eats it.
• Use caution with lit candles including those in pumpkins; never leave candles unattended.
Joe Lacks is a St. Lawrence County Bureau of Fire Investigator and a Public Fire Safety Officer.