With several fishing tournaments coming up this weekend, the St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce reminds personal watercraft operators to remember to follow rules of the water.
The chamber says New York state personal watercraft restrictions include:
• Operating if under age 14
• Operating in excess of 5 m.p.h. within 100 feet of shore, a dock, float or anchored boat
• Operating within 500 feet of a marked swim area
• Operating between sunset and sunrise
• Operating a PWC in a reckless manner, including wake jumping, playing "Chicken," weaving through traffic, carrying more passengers than is recommend by the manufacturer.
Tournaments include this weekend’s St. Lawrence International Junior Carp Tournament, which brings young anglers to fish from the banks of the St. Lawrence from Massena to Ogdensburg. Boaters should be especially careful of any anglers fishing from shore, the chamber says.
Also this weekend, in Ogdensburg is the NYS BASS Federation Tournament.