Polling places in all 32 townships in St. Lawrence County and in the City of Ogdensburg will be open on Primary Day, Sept. 10, for the Republican primary to choose among three candidates for coroner.
Only 33 of all 52 regular polling places in the county will be open for primary voters, because of the usually much lower turnout for primaries than in a general election.
Steven M. Carey, incumbent June H. Wood, and Kevin J. Crosby all seek the GOP line in the November election to take the one open position among the three coroners in the county.
Aside from that one county-wide primary, all other primary contests are on the town level.
The most sought-after position appears to be Colton Superintendent of Highways.
Two Republicans, Justin Johnson and Kevin Hawley, the incumbent, and Conservatives Harold Bush and Brion J. Stowe, all seek their parties’ nominations for November ballot lines.
In Morristown, two people are seeking the endorsement of both the Independence Party and Conservative Party, Lisa J. Whitmarsh and G. Thomas Bertrand, Jr., to be on both ballot lines for town justice in November.
Other Republican primaries are in Clare, Edwards, Fowler, Gouverneur, Russell and Waddington.
There are no nominations contested by Democrats.
By not opening all regular polling places in the county, it will keep down the expense of poll workers, transportation and setup of machines, according to Democratic St. Lawrence County Elections Commissioner Jennie Bacon.
The polls for the primary will be open from noon to 9 p.m. Sept. 10.
Polling stations that will be open are:
• Brasher, 1-2, Brasher Municipal Building, 11 Factory Street, Brasher Falls
• Canton, 1-8, Canton Fire Department, 77 Riverside Drive
• Clare, 1, Clare Town Hall, 3441 Cty. Rt. 27
• Clifton, 1-2, Newton Falls Town Office, 66 River Road
• Colton, 1, Community Center, 9 Sugarbush Lane, South Colton
• DeKalb, 1-2, DeKalb Town Hall, 2907 Cty. Rt. 17, DeKalb Junction
• Depeyster, 1, Masonic Temple, 4404 Cty. Rt. 10
• Edwards, 1, Edwards Town Hall, 161 Main St.
• Fine, 1, Municipal Office Building, 4078 St. Hwy. 3, Star Lake
• Fowler, 1-2, Fowler Town Hall, 87 Little York Rd.
• Gouverneur, 1-4, Gouverneur Fairgrounds, 209 Rock Island St.
• Hammond, 1, Hammond Fire Department, 300 Lake St.
• Hermon, 1, Hermon Fire Department, 1651 Cty. Rt. 21.
• Hopkinton, 1, Hopkinton Town Hall, 15 Church St.
• Lawrence, 1, Lawrenceville Fire Department, 1081 Cty. Rt. 54, Lawrenceville
• Lisbon, 1-3, Lisbon Hepburn Library, 6899 Cty. Rt. 10, Lisbon 13658
• Louisville, 1-4, Louisville Municipal Building, 14810 St. Hwy. 37
• Macomb, 1, Macomb Town Hall, 6663 St. Hwy. 58, Brasie Corners
• Madrid, 1, Madrid Hepburn Library, 11 Church St.
• Massena, 1-8, Massena Community Center, 61 Beach St.
• Morristown, 1-2, Morristown Fire Hall, 200 Morris St.
• Norfolk, 1-3, Norfolk Rescue Squad Building, 7 Sedwick St.
• Oswegatchie, 1-3, Heuvelton Fire Department, 95 State St.
• Parishville, 1-2, Parishville Town Hall, 1772 St. Hwy. 72
• Piercefield, 1, Piercefield Town Hall, 48 Waller St.
• Pierrepont, 1-2, Pierrepont Town Hall, 864 St. Hwy. 68, Pierrepont Center
• Pitcairn, 1, Pitcairn Town Hall, 10 Edwards Rd, Pitcairn Forks
• Potsdam, 1-8, Potsdam Town Offices, 18 Elm St.
• Rossie, 1, Rossie Town Barn, 908 Cty. Rt. 3
• Russell, 1, Russell Town Hall, 4 Pestle St.
• Stockholm, 1-3, Brasher Winthrop Fire Dept, 708 St. Hwy. 11C, Winthrop
• Waddington, 1-2, Waddington Municipal Building, 48 Maple St.
• Ogdensburg, 1-6, Ogdensburg Dobisky Center, 100 Riverside Ave.
Anyone with questions about registration or voting can call the Board of Elections at 379-2222.