Updated: Sen. Ritchie to honor 17 teachers from Canton, Ogdensburg, Lisbon, E-K, Heuvelton, H-D, Massena with Golden Apple Award
Updated: at 10:40 a.m. to include three additional St. Lawrence County educators who were previously not included.
For their dedication to students, State Senator Patty Ritchie will honor 17 St. Lawrence County teachers with her Golden Apple Award for Teaching Excellence.Those receiving the award include those who work with students with special needs, a news release from Ritchie says. It also recognizes those "who ignite a passion for learning in those they teach to those who have made headlines for safeguarding students and educators who have overcome major challenges to pursue their careers," the release reads.
“It doesn’t matter who you are, we can all remember a teacher who has made a lasting, significant impact on our life,” Ritchie said in an email.
Last year, Ritchie recognized more than 40 teachers from the Central and Northern New York regions. She represents the 48th Senate district. It covers Ogdensburg, Canton, Gouverneur, Oswegatchie, Waddington, Lisbon, Madrid, Louisville, DeKalb, DePeyster, Hermon, Edwards, Fowler, Rossie, Macomb, Morristown and Hammond.
Golden Apple Award recipients will be honored Friday evening at 5:30 p.m. at a ceremony at Pulaski’s historic, newly renovated Kallet Theater.
Those recognized include:
• Jeanette Perry: Southwest Tech Center BOCES
• Stephanie Plaisted: East Side Elementary
• Cindy Niles, St. Mary's, Canton
• Pamela Bice, Ogdensburg Free Academy
• Margaret Clemens, Hugh C. Williams High School, Canton
• Jon Cole, Ogdensburg Free Academy
• Aimee Flynn, St. Marguerite D'Youville Academy, Ogdensburg
• Christine Kassian, Lisbon Central School
• Suzanne McLean, Ogdensburg Free Academy
• Joni Macaulay, Edwards-Knox Central School, Russell
• Lauren Morley, Ogdensburg Free Academy
• Sharon Murdock, Heuvelton Central School
• Jennifer Putman, Ogdensburg Free Academy
• Lisa Sargent, Lisbon Central School
• Lynn Tayler, Morristown Central School
• Barbara von Holtz, Trinity Catholic School, Massena
• Sarah Wood, Hermon-DeKalb Central School