Police charge three people following Massena gun incident; chief says investigation continues
Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 6:52 am

MASSENA – Three people were charged Wednesday after a hand gun was shot into a vehicle, leaving one person injured by broken glass, followed by a standoff in which at least four police agencies responded.

Devian J. Fletcher, 19, New York City, was charged with first-degree attempted assault, second-degree possession of a weapon and first-degree reckless endangerment. All three are felony charges.

Fletcher was additionally cited with a misdemeanor charge of second-degree menacing.

Kate J. Javier, 19, of Massena, was charged with second-degree possession of a weapon and tampering with evidence. Both charges are felonies.

She was additionally charged with misdemeanor counts of criminal impersonation and forgery.

Police also charged Jeffrey Clukey, 41, on a warrant for fourth-degree grand larceny.

Police Chief Timmy Currier said the arrests occurred Wednesday after Fletcher allegedly approached the passenger side of a vehicle in the driveway at 72 Maple St. and fired a .22 caliber handgun towards the two occupants of the vehicle.

Neither occupant was shot. However, the occupant located in the front passenger seat was injured by broken glass, Currier said.

The victims came to the Massena Police Station and the injured person was transported by Massena Rescue Squad to Massena Memorial Hospital, was treated and released.

Massena police first received a 911 report of a gunshot at 72 Maple St., but ultimately police converged upon 66 Liberty Ave. and were joined by several police agencies including the St. Lawrence County Sheriff's Department, State Police, New York State Police Special Operations Response Team (SORT) and the United States Border Patrol.

After some time, and with the assistance of state police negotiators, three people were taken in to custody.

Police have recovered the weapon believed to have been used. It is a .22 caliber handgun, Currier said.

This investigation in continuing and ongoing, the police chief said.

The Massena Fire Department also responded to the scene.