CANTON -- A photographic history of the St. Lawrence University campus is now in digital form, available through a collaboration of the Special Collections staff of the library and a Digital Collections team.
The collection tells the story of the development of the campus from the construction of what was simply known as “the College” in 1856 (renamed Richardson Hall in 1906) to the modern campus of today, using over 100 vintage photos of individual buildings, panoramas of the early campus and many aerial views from the University’s Archives.
Antique maps are also part of the collection, along with photos of newsmaking events such as the dedication of Hepburn Hall in 1929 by Madame Marie Curie and the fire that destroyed Fisher Hall in 1951. They may be viewed online at digitalcollections.stlawu.edu/collections/slu-photographs.
This is the third digital project developed by the Special Collections Department and the Digital Collections team at St. Lawrence this academic year. A collection of Civil War-era letters from the Sunderland brothers of Rensselaer Falls and selected correspondence of the famed Western artist and Canton native Frederic Remington were launched in the fall of 2011. Previously, nearly 1,000 photographs from the Dwight P. Church collection were digitized. Over a dozen collections of materials curated by the University Libraries’ Special Collections Department, the Richard F. Brush Art Gallery and the Launders Science Library are now online at digitalcollections.stlawu.edu.