Overheated woodstove pipe blamed for house fire in Hermon
Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 10:48 am

HERMON – An overheated woodstove pipe has been blamed for a fire that resulted in heavy damage throughout a house at 142 Marshville Rd., according to St. Lawrence County fire investigators.

Hermon firefighters responded at 12:49 a.m. today to the home owned and occupied by Clarence and Kelly Cleveland along with three children who were away at the time of the fire.

The Russell, DeKalb Junction, Edwards, Richville, Pyrites and Gouverneur fire departments provided mutual aid. The Harrisville and Rensselaer Falls fire departments and the Russell Rescue Squad were on standby.

Working smoke detectors alerted the family to the blaze and they were able to leave the home unharmed, investigators said.

Hermon firefighters returned to the station at 4:52 a.m.