Ogdensburg GreenMarket collecting funds to benefit Heuvelton barn fire victims
OGDENSBURG – The Ogdensburg GreenMarket will be collecting monetary donations from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday to help Clifton and Marie Cook restart their livestock business after losing more than 360 animals in an early-morning fire Monday in their Heuvelton barn.
The couple formerly sold their animals at the Ogdensburg market, but they lost everything in the blaze and are not insured, according to a GreenMarket press release.“Clif said he will start over as soon as he can afford to build a small building to start with and gradually get back to what he loved,” the release stated. “Clif and Marie need some of that good old fashioned North Country caring right now, and together we can make great things happen.”
A heat lamp in a chicken coop is allegedly the cause of the fire that completely destroyed the barn and killed 39 pigs, 300 chickens, 6 turkeys, two cows and 20 ducks.