The National Weather Service continues to warn of high winds in the St. Lawrence Valley and across the Adirondacks through 8 p.m. The forecasters are expecting strong winds from the south at 20 to 30 mph with gusts as high as 50 mph.
Tornado watches have been posted for much of downstate reaching as far north as Herkimer and Hamilton counties, counties bordering St. Lawrence County to the immediate south.
As a mass of cooler air moved into the region today, it brought some gusts and some heavy rain with it. There is a continuing chance of rain and thunderstorms, according to the NWS.
Then showers are expected to taper off and temperatures will drop tonight to around 42 as the sky clears to make way for a sunny day tomorrow with highs in the upper 50s.
Patchy frost is expected tomorrow night.
Right now, clear skies are expected to remain right through next weekend, according to the NWS.
The forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley and the northwestern Adirondacks:
• This Afternoon: Showers, mainly before 5pm. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 76. Southwest wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
• Tonight: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 42. Southwest wind 10 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
• Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 58. West wind 6 to 8 mph.
• Tuesday Night: Patchy frost after midnight. Otherwise, clear, with a low around 32. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
• Wednesday: Areas of frost before 9am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 66. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
• Wednesday Night: Clear, with a low around 41. Light south wind.
• Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 68. Calm wind.
• Thursday Night: Clear, with a low around 42. Calm wind.
• Friday: Sunny, with a high near 67. Light north wind.
• Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 43. Light east wind.
• Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 66. East wind around 6 mph.
• Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Southeast wind around 6 mph.
• Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 66. Southeast wind 3 to 5 mph.