Police identify nine victims hurt in Star Lake head-on crash
STAR LAKE – Nine people were hurt when an attempt to pass a tractor trailer ended in a head-on crash.
New York State Police in Star Lake investigated the two-vehicle collision Tuesday at 12:13 p.m. on State Rt. 3 in the town of Fine.Their preliminary investigation indicates that Genemichael Lester, 21, Evans Mills, was driving a 2000 GMC van eastbound when he pulled out to pass an uninvolved tractor trailer.
Lester's vehicle struck head-on a 2007 Ford F-250 being driven westbound by Peter E. Holmes, 32, Fulton, NY.
Fire and rescue units responded and transported the injured to Clifton-Fine Hospital.
Rt. 3 was closed to traffic for a time as the rescue and investigation proceeded.
The investigation is continuing and charges may be filed at a later date.
Injured in the collision were:
from the GMC van
• Genemichael Lester, severe leg and internal injuries
• William B. Warner, 27, Elmira, internal injuries
• Richard E. Foster, 27, Watertown, minor head and possible internal injuries
• Ashley M. Payeur, 24, Elmira Heights, leg pain
• Cory A. Kelley, 34, Lowville, head and internal injuries
• Justin G. Jodon, 19, Akron,, leg and head injuries
• Chastity L. Stevens, 21, Adams, head and internal injuries;
and from the Ford F-250
• Peter E. Holmes, back pain
• Leslie K. Holmes, 67, Fulton, head laceration and pain
The following fire and rescue departments responded: Cranberry Lake Fire and Rescue, Star Lake Fire and Rescue, Colton Rescue, Pierrepont CFR's, Edwards Rescue, Harrisville Rescue, Newton Falls Fire, Tupper Lake Rescue.