A total of 10 to 18 inches of snow is expected to fall over the St. Lawrence Valley region between Thursday and Friday night.
A high-pressure system will build from southeast Canada over the region tonight and will remain through most of Thursday, says the National Weather Service, bringing chilly temperatures.
Temperatures are expected to dip into the double-digit negatives tonight before coming back up to 9 degrees Thursday, the service says.
A low-pressure system is expected to move into the area from the south Thursday night, bringing with it a significant accumulation of snow, the weather service continues. Snow accumulation is expected to begin Thursday night and continue through Friday night, according to the service.
Light snow is expected to begin after 3 p.m. Thursday, with accumulation of two to four inches possible through Thursday night.
Friday is expected to bring an additional five to nine inches of snow, with a 90 percent chance of precipitation. Yet another three to five inches is expected Friday night, the service says.
The snow is expected to let up Saturday, with mostly sunny conditions to prevail throughout the weekend, according to the service.
The full seven day forecast is listed below, and up to date weather information can always be found through our weather page.
• Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around -12. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Thursday: A 20 percent chance of light snow after 3pm. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 9. Wind chill values as low as -18. Calm wind becoming northeast 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
• Thursday Night: Snow, mainly after midnight. Low around 2. Wind chill values as low as -12. East wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
• Friday: Snow. High near 21. Wind chill values as low as -12. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.
• Friday Night: Snow, mainly before 2am. Low around 6. Northeast wind 9 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
• Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 14. North wind 6 to 8 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
• Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around -9. Light and variable wind.
• Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 27. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph in the afternoon.
• Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Light southeast wind.
• Monday: A 40 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35. Calm wind becoming southeast 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
• Monday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.
• Tuesday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Southwest wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
• Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
• Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.