MORLEY -- A diverse and interesting collection of material related to Morley’s history, some old and some new to the collection, is available at the Morley Library to researchers and all those interested in local history.
The collection may be viewed during library open hours, at the monthly gatherings of the Morley History Group, or by appointment by calling 379-9863.
In February 2010, the Morley Library Association hosted a “Memories of Morley” gathering at the Morley Library. A large number of people interested in local history gathered to view old photographs, news clippings, old maps of the area and other materials related to Morley history and to share their stories of Morley.
Since that time, an informal gathering of the Morley History Group has been held monthly at the library. Over the last three years, the group has worked to organize the material to make it easier to use.
Among the materials are:
• a collection of photographs, which have either been donated or scanned and printed from photos presented by interested people. Dennis Barr of TwoGuysAndACamera has reprinted many of the oldest photos, enhancing and enlarging for better views
• a collection of articles related to Morley written during the 1930’s and 40’s by Walter Brown Leonard, donated to the Morley Library by Mr. Leonard
• a copy of the Morley Cemetery burials, also found online, done by Anne Cady
• original notebook of work done by Floyd Beswick and donated to the Library by Mr. Beswick
• several donated scrapbooks with local articles from newspapers and private collections
• a compilation of material about the Morley School, with documents, photos, newspaper clippings, and memories of school days written by former students.
The group is currently compiling information about the two churches in the hamlet. The Trinity Chapel and the Morley Wesleyan Church played major roles in the settlement of Morley.
If anyone has photos, stories or memorabilia to share about these churches, the Morley History Group is most anxious to hear from you. Call 379-9863 for more information.