Massena Memorial Hospital Auxiliary recognized for its advocacy efforts by state healthcare association
MASSENA -- The Healthcare Association of New York State, HANYS, recently announced Massena Memorial Hospital Auxiliary is being recognized with the 2011 Auxiliary Advocacy Recognition.
They are being recognized for their committed significant time and effort to serving as an advocate for Massena Memorial Hospital and community.The Massena Memorial Hospital Auxiliary’s theme for this year was “Exceptional People…Extraordinary Hearts.” The members have spent immeasurable hours serving patients through the hostess desk, juice cart, sewing pillows, hats, and pouches for walkers and teddy bears for patients young and old.
“The Auxiliary’s commitment to others makes them a special part of the hospital family. Their positive impact is way beyond measure and we appreciate their unending volunteer hours for both the hospital and community,” said Charles F. Fahd, II, FACHE, Chief Executive Officer.
The Auxiliary is a group of 210 persons who devote time and energy to support the workings of Massena Memorial Hospital through financial support, volunteer in-hospital deeds, and/or fund raising efforts within the community. The Auxiliary raised even more funds than in 2010. With these funds they donated $10,000 pledge to the Massena Memorial Hospital Foundation, $5,000 to the Telethon towards a Bone Densitometer and $13,335 for a Tranvenous Pacemaker- Medronic and a Doerges Difficult Airway Blade for C Mac, both life-saving pieces of equipment.
The membership has grown 20 percent over the last five years with the efforts of the membership committee. There are 210 members accruing over 3,200 documented volunteer hours last the year. To build membership, the Auxiliary has developed a phone tree to ask each member if they would like to participate in an event or help with a project, whether it is at the hospital, health fair or doing something they can accomplish at home, i.e. sewing patient pillows or knitting hats for the Oncology patients.
Additionally to keep the membership informed, the Auxiliary hosts four luncheons throughout the year consisting of a meeting with general business, a guest speaker from the hospital demonstrating new equipment or the introduction of a new physician. The Auxiliary also publishes an annual report for to keep their membership informed.
Massena Memorial Hospital Auxiliary Activities include:
• Hospital Week -- Hospital week kick-off reception the Auxiliary announced the MMH Auxilian of the year.
• Massena Chamber of Commerce — welcomes new people to the community with a welcoming brochure and information to get involved and volunteer.
• Health Screenings -- Auxiliary helps six community health fairs sponsored by the hospital; screening-cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure, and bone density blood typing.
• Patient Gifts -- Handmade gifts/tray items were distributed to 80 patients in the hospital, the Oncology Department and the Dialysis Center. Thirty-six Auxilians worked each holiday to create handmade items to be given out on Valentine’s Day, Easter, 4th of July, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
• Scholarship Program -- the Auxiliary awards two $1,000 scholarships to graduating high school seniors who will be pursuing a healthcare career. Additionally, they award two $500 scholarships to hospital employees who are pursuing RN degrees.
MMH Foundation. The Auxiliary donates $10,000 annually to the MMH Foundation.
• Spring Planting Project -- The Auxiliary has taken on assisting in beautifying the hospital campus with numerous flower gardens and potted plants at the entrance of the hospital.
• WHALE (We have a little emergency) -- The Auxiliary manages this car seat identification program for the community. Information is presented at health fairs and insurance offices. Also each newborn at Massena Memorial Hospital receives a WHALE packet.
• Organ Donation -- An Auxilian heads up this community educational/outreach program, speaking at local service clubs and supplying information to the local papers and health fairs.
• Teddy Bears -- They donate Teddy Bears to the obstetrics for newborns, to pediatric patients and senior patients as deemed appropriate. The Auxiliary purchases the Teddy Bears and then sews on a label designating the Auxiliary as its donor.
• Other areas of volunteer efforts include staffing the Hospital Information Desk, Gift Shop and Beverage Cart.
The Auxiliary decorates the hospital and waiting rooms for Christmas. They make headgear, pillows and blankets for Cancer patients, along with cloth bags for wheelchairs and walkers. They held three Work Bees -- with over 35 members designing, cutting, and sewing hats, blankets, pillows for the patients. A total of 692 teddy bears, 279 pillows, 54 bags and 12 hats have been given to the hospital since November 2008.
• Fundraisers -- Gift Shop, Valentine Day Bake Sale, “The Spring Nest Egg Raffle”, Christmas Cookie Walk, “Christmas Cash Raffle,” Books Are Fun Sales, and Jewelry Sales.
The Massena Memorial Hospital Auxiliary has projects continuously throughout the year, and services within the hospital.