Gouverneur home destroyed by fire leaving one homeless
Friday, March 7, 2014 - 6:02 am

GOUVERNEUR – A fire caused by a furnace malfunction destroyed a home at 551 U.S. Highway 11 early Friday morning, according to St. Lawrence County Fire Investigators.

Gouverneur Fire Department and rescue squad members responded to the blaze at 2:11 a.m. and were provided mutual aid by firefighters from Oxbox.

The house was deemed a total loss, investigators said.

The residence is reportedly owned and occupied by Kenneth L. Streeter.

Officials say he is being helped by Red Cross.

The home was reportedly not insured.

No injuries were reported and Gouverneur firefighters were back in service at 4:20 a.m.