Flurries reported in St. Lawrence Valley; better chance of snow Saturday
The first snow flurries of the season in St. Lawrence County have been reported today, including in Potsdam, Parishville, and Stockholm.
The National Weather Service says a cold weather pattern is moving into place for the weekend and with it there are possibilities of rain mixed with snow showers in higher elevations.Temperatures will reach the upper 40s today with a 20 percent of precipitation, according to the service.
Tonight will be cloudy with a slight chance of rain until midnight and lows dipping into the upper 20s with winds becoming light and variable, the service says.
The forecasters say temperatures will be in the mid 40s Friday with a 50 percent chance of snow showers in the evening and a 70 percent chance of snow on Saturday.
The NWS forecast:
• This Afternoon: A 20 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 47. West wind 15 to 17 mph.
• Tonight: Cloudy, with a low around 28. West wind around 6 mph.
• Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 45. West wind 7 to 11 mph.
• Friday Night: Increasing clouds, with a low around 30. West wind around 6 mph becoming south in the evening.
• Saturday: A chance of snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 10am and 11am, then a chance of rain showers after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 48. Breezy, with a south wind 9 to 14 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
• Saturday Night: Showers likely, mainly before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 37. Southwest wind 13 to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
• Sunday: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. West wind 11 to 14 mph.
• Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Southwest wind 5 to 8 mph.
• Monday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. Southwest wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
• Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 47. Calm wind.
• Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. Light southeast wind.
• Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Light and variable wind.