Fire in Rossie leaves five homeless, one hospitalized
Monday, June 9, 2014 - 6:19 am

ROSSIE – Five people were left homeless and one man was sent to the hospital after a faulty lamp caused a fire shortly after midnight Sunday, according to St. Lawrence County Fire Investigators.

The Gouverneur Fire Department responded around 12:36 a.m. to a mobile home at 112 Barker Rd. for a reported structure fire, investigators said.

The engine crew knocked the majority of the fire down quickly, according to the Gouverneur Fire Department Facebook page.

The home was reportedly occupied by Stephen and Alena Robinson and three children.

One male occupant was taken to Gouverneur Hospital for observation of respiratory problems, investigators said.

The Red Cross was called to assist the family.

Investigators deemed the house a total loss.

National Grid was called to the scene.

Gouverneur firefighters were reportedly provided mutual aid by the Oxbox Fire Department with two tankers on scene.

The renters had insurance but the property owner did not, investigators said.

The home was reportedly owned by Wes Belmore, Rochester.