Fire destroys garage, but attached home saved without damage in Morristown; faulty woodstove chimney blamed
Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 8:50 am

Firefighters put our remaining hot spots of a large garage fire at 3453 Co. Rt.6. KM Photo.Firefighters put our remaining hot spots of a large garage fire at 3453 Co. Rt.6. KM Photo.

MORRISTOWN – Fire destroyed a garage Saturday, but an attached house was saved without damage, according to St. Lawrence County fire investigators.

The Morristown Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad responded at 5:18 p.m. to the property owned and occupied by Michael R. Gorman at 3453 County Route 6.

The Brier Hill, Hammond, Heuvelton and Lisbon fire departments provided mutual aid and the Rensselaer Falls, Gouverneur and Waddington fire departments were on standby.

Gouverneur firefighters said Gorman's son discovered fire coming from near the chimney area when he arrived home. Investigators comfirmed the fire originated from an overheated faulty woodstove chimney that ignited nearby wooden studs and rafters.

No injuries were reported.

Investigators noted there was a good turnout by firefighters, who were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the attached home that was occupied by two people.

Morristown firefighters returned to the station at 8:42 p.m. The home was insured, investigators said.