Fire destroys Edwards apartment complex leaving six homeless and killing a cat
Sunday, March 23, 2014 - 9:30 am

EDWARDS -- A Saturday morning fire in the village of Edwards destroyed a building of five apartments at the Edwards Senior Housing complex off of Trout Street, according to St. Lawrence County Fire Investigator Joe Lacks.

Edwards firefighters responded to the blaze around 10:30 a.m. with the initial alarm from the St. Lawrence County Emergency Dispatch reporting an electrical fire with smoke, Lacks said.

The blaze was quickly upgraded to a working structure fire.

There were no reported injuries, however at least one woman was treated at the scene and one cat was reportedly lost in the fire.

“A housing caretaker, Larry Wisner was on scene and helped occupants of the number two building vacate the fire which quickly grew in size with heavy smoke conditions,” Lacks said.

All of the occupants lost their entire belongings and it was reported that none of the seniors, a total of six in all had no insurance.

“Fire investigators were on scene and determined the fire appeared to have started in a recessed lighting unit in the wall in apartment D and went up the inside of the wall spreading horizontally in the attic where it got more air causing the flames to spread very rapidly,” Lacks said.

The Red Cross and friends and family members of the displaced were on scene to help the senior citizens.

The building, one of several on the complex was reportedly insured and is owned by the Village of Edwards and managed by the United Helpers management group.

Units from Edwards fire and rescue, Gouverneur Rescue, Fine fire and Harrisville were also on scene until about 3 p.m., Lacks said.