Sentences could reach 40 years for four captured in Massena drug raid, federal court officials say
PLATTSBURGH -- Four men taken into custody in a drug raid in Massena last week have been arrested and indicted on felony drug trafficking charges in federal court.
The arrests followed a year-long investigation led by Homeland Security Investigations, the Massena Police Department, the Saint Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department and the New York State Police.The indictment charges the following individuals with conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute and to distribute a controlled substance in violation of U.S. federal law:
• Matthew Malu, aka “Compo” and “Capo,” 24, of New York City
• Ian Hendricks, aka “Jew,” 19, of Massena
• Star Perrin, 34, of Massena
Each defendant faces a mandatory minimum sentence of five years and a 40-year maximum term of imprisonment, and the possibility of a $5,000,000 fine, according to a news release from the court.
A separate indictment charges Adam Gauthier, 24, of Massena, with possession with the intent to distribute a controlled substance. Gauthier faces a 20-year maximum term of imprisonment and the possibility of a $1,000,000 fine.
The investigation revealed that an organization used suppliers in New York City to obtain large quantities of cocaine, heroin and crack for redistribution. After obtaining the drugs, the organization employed couriers to transport the drugs from New York City to Massena, where the organization’s distribution network sold ounce and gram quantities of the drugs to drug users and other wholesale drug dealers in the area, the court said.
During the investigation, law enforcement officers seized drugs and money from the defendants:
• On March 15, 2013, law enforcement officers from the Syracuse Police Department and Homeland Security seized approximately 82.5 grams of heroin from Adam Gauthier.
• On September 13, 2013, officers from Homeland Security, NYSP, and MPD seized approximately 27.32 grams of crack, 29.94 grams of powder cocaine, and 117.38 grams of heroin from a package sent to Ian Hendricks.
• On September 27, 2013, offices from HSI and MPD seized approximately $5,000 in cash from Star Perrin.
The District Attorneys of Clinton, Franklin and St. Lawrence Counties, the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Police Department, the United States Customs and Border Protection Office of Air and Marine, the United States Customs and Border Protection Office of Field Operations, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the New York Attorney General’s Office, the Oneida Indian Nation Police and the Customs and Border Protection United States Border Patrol assisted in the investigation.
The charges contained in the indictments are merely accusations and the defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty, the court notes.