Electrical short blamed for blaze in Gouverneur
Monday, August 30, 2010 - 9:02 am

GOUVERNEUR – A short circuit is being blamed for a blaze that caused moderate damage to a home at 171 Rowley St. Saturday afternoon.

The Gouverneur Volunteer Fire Department responded at 1:48 p.m. to the home owned and occupied by Christopher Miller and two others.

The Richville and Oxbow fire departments provided mutual aid and the Gouverneur Rescue Squad also responded. The DeKalb Junction Fire Department was on standby.

St. Lawrence County fire investigators reported moderate water damage to the downstairs area of the house.

An electric light short circuited in the attic has been listed as the cause of the fire. National Grid crews are also called to the scene.

Gouverneur firefighters returned to the station at 3 p.m., investigators said.