Winter refuses to let go as eight inches of heavy dense snow could fall on St. Lawrence County from Saturday evening through Sunday morning before it changes to rain Sunday afternoon.
The National Weather Service is warning areas to our east of even more snow.
Rain is likely the rest of this afternoon into tonight, according to the NWS, probably tapering off to light rain or snow showers before Saturday morning. The low tonight will be around 30. The high Saturday will be around 40 with some sunshine.
Saturday night rain is expected to turn to all snow with a low around 28. Three to five inches could fall, according to the NWS.
And Sunday rain and perhaps three more inches of snow are expected before the clouds part to let the sun shine in later in the afternoon. Highs will be about 41.
The NWS has prepared a map of expected precipitation you can see at http://www.weather.gov/btv/stormtotalsnow.
And you keep up with the latest weather developments at www.NorthCountryNow.com/weather.
The forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley and northwestern Adirondacks:
• This Afternoon: Rain. High near 50. South wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
• Tonight: A chance of rain showers before 3am, then a slight chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Southwest wind 6 to 13 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
• Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 40. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
• Saturday Night: Rain and snow likely before midnight, then snow. Low around 28. Northeast wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
• Sunday: A chance of rain and snow before 1pm, then a chance of rain between 1pm and 3pm. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 41. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
• Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. Northeast wind 5 to 7 mph.
• Monday: Sunny, with a high near 44. North wind around 5 mph.
• Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 33. East wind around 5 mph.
• Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. East wind around 6 mph.
• Tuesday Night: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Southeast wind 5 to 8 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
• Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 44. West wind 7 to 9 mph.
• Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. West wind 3 to 6 mph.
• Thursday: A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 46. Light and variable wind.