Dry weather, a growing concern in the North Country, to continue this week
Aside from a slight chance of thunderstorms Tuesday, there is no rain in the forecast for the dry North Country until next weekend.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation says conditions upstate are in the normal range, but the National Drought Mitigation Center is calling most of upstate "abnormally dry," including the southern third of St. Lawrence County.Farmers report conditions were favorable for a generally good early cut of hay, but with dry weather and the recent heat, the quality of a second cut is in doubt.
High temperatures around the county are expected to be in the upper 70s to upper 80s this week, with lows in the 50s and 60s, possibly dropping to the 40s around Star Lake Tuesday night.
In the North Country today's highs are expected to be in the mid to upper 80s with overnight lows in the 60s.
Skies will remain mostly clear all this week, forecasters say.
• Today: Sunny, with a high near 88. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph.
• Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 66. Southwest wind 9 to 13 mph.
• Tuesday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon.
• Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 51. North wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph in the morning.
• Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 56. Calm wind.
• Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 85. Light and variable wind.
• Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 61. Light and variable wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
• Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Southwest wind around 6 mph.
• Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
• Saturday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 86. West wind 5 to 7 mph.
• Saturday Night: A chance of thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. Light south wind. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
• Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 89. Southwest wind around 6 mph.