It’s going to get cold tonight, and the National Weather Service has issued a warning that ice is forming on local waters, so caution around potential flooding is advised.
A cold front has crossed the St. Lawrence Valley bringing colder temperatures and fairly clear skies today, which will set us up for temperatures tonight as low as minus 25 in the coldest mountain valleys tonight, but it will be more like ten below for most of the county with wind chills approaching minus 20, according to the NWS.
The deep cold is expected to break Thursday when a new system will push in from the west, bringing an increased chance of snow showers and higher temperatures, perhaps reaching as high as the freezing mark on Friday and Saturday.
The chance of precipitation is put at about 80 percent Thursday night.
Gusty winds are expected Friday.
The Weather Service is warning that river ice continues to develop on waterways across the North Country, which could result in localized freeze-up jams and rapid rises in water levels.
Keep your eye on NorthCountryNow.com’s weather page for the latest weather news.
The NWS forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley and the northwestern Adirondacks:
• Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around -10. Wind chill values as low as -19. Northeast wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Thursday: A 40 percent chance of snow showers after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 19. Wind chill values as low as -7. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
• Thursday Night: Occasional snow showers. Low around 14. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
• Friday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. West wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
• Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16.
• Saturday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.
• Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 18.
Sunday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31.
• Sunday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 9.
• Monday: Cloudy, with a high near 26.
• Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 21.
• Tuesday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 33.