MADRID -- A dedication ceremony for a 160-year-old one-room schoolhouse that was moved more than 50 miles to Madrid will be held Aug. 30.
Schoolhouse #12 was donated by Indian River Central School near Philadelphia, NY to the St. Lawrence Power and Equipment Museum in Madrid in 2010, and moved to Madrid in 2011.
The school once stood on US Highway 11, in the Town of LeRay, Jefferson County. Built in 1854, children filled the classroom until 1914, when it closed. The schoolhouse then became a meeting house for various groups until about 1940 when it closed for good.
The structure now stands on the green at the St. Lawrence Power and Equipment Museum in Madrid, and will be dedicated August 30 during the annual Harvest Exhibition at 1 p.m.
Assemblywoman Addie Russell, who helped secure funding for the project, will attend.
Several area children will be dressed for the occasion, wearing bonnets, pinafores, knickers, and vests. Refreshments will be served.