Cooler temperatures expected to give way to weekend rain in St. Lawrence County communities
Today’s cooler-than-normal temperatures and low humidity are a contrast with the early July heat in the North Country as high pressure builds in today from the west, according to the National Weather Service.
Skies will be sunny all day today and clear tonight, with highs in the mid to upper 70s and overnight lows into the 50s.Temperatures will rise a few degrees each day with clear skies through the end of the week before rain is expected to arrive Friday night and continue into Saturday and Sunday, forecasters say.
There will be showers associated with a trough that should reach the St. Lawrence Valley late Friday afternoon, forecasters say.
Then the heat really returns Sunday and Monday with forecast temperatures well above normal for the beginning of next week, possibly reaching 90 degrees again, or higher, according to the forecast.
The NWS forecast:
• Today: Sunny, with a high near 79. Calm wind becoming north 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
• Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 54. North wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable in the evening.
• Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph in the afternoon.
• Thursday Night: Clear, with a low around 58. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
• Friday Night: Showers likely, mainly after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. South wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
• Saturday: Showers likely, mainly before 9am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. South wind around 6 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
• Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers before 9pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 64. Calm wind.
• Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 91. Calm wind.
• Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 66. Light and variable wind.
• Monday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 91. South wind 5 to 8 mph.
• Monday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind around 6 mph.
• Tuesday: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 84. Southwest wind around 9 mph.