By MATT LINDSEY
CANTON — The Canton Central School Board of Education approved rental space for the St. Lawrence-Lewis pre-kindergarten Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Program for the 2017-18 school year.
The BOE made the decision at their March 16 meeting.
The room will function as a classroom for about eight autistic students and six staff members, Canton Central Superintendent William Gregory.
The program was held at Potsdam Central this past year but is being moved because of space issues.
“Potsdam has limited space and we do have the space so we are glad to assist with space problem,” he said, noting that the school will have even more space when renovations are complete this summer.
Gregory says Canton Central being more centrally located will be a benefit.
“We think it’s a good thing to support this program as it will reduce the time students spend on the bus for those coming from distances like Hammond and Morristown.”
The agreement is for one year with the possibility of continuing if all goes well.
Gregory says the board discussed the school budget but that until the governor’s budget is finalized, there is not a lot to report.
“We plan to maintain all of our programs and staff,” he said.
Gregory said there is always a budget gap and that the school has a plan to deal with it.
“It’s all going off of a proposal — funding usually comes in higher than early talks,” he said.
The budget is projected to be finalized April 1 and the BOE meets April 6.
Once Gregory and the BOE have more info they will be able to discuss details of their budget.
In other meeting news, the BOE made several appointments. Those included:
• Alicia Wentwork, unpaid assistant softball coach for all levels for the 2016-17 season.
• Ellis Toll, unpaid assistant boys’ varsity track coach for 2016-17 season.
• Garrett Kinnen, assistant boys’ and girls’ modified track coach for 2016-17 season with a $1,208 stipend.
• Emma Bortnick, student lifeguard, effective March 23 at a rate of $9.75.
• Nicholas Wentworth, student lifeguard, effective March 17 at a rate of $9.75.